Need an afternoon boost? Looking for a quick to-go breakfast? Here is an option for you!
These are one of my absolute favorite things EVER! For a while they were my breakfast, and then they became my go-to for mid-morning hunger pains. Now, they are my afternoon pick me up to help me push through to dinner (which is about 8pm on a work night…).
The original recipe can be found here:
It’s billed as a five ingredient protein bite, but along the way I’ve adjusted the recipe for taste and more protein-punch, and smoothed them out into bars, to make two-weeks’ worth of goodie snacks for work.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 scoop vanilla or whey protein powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chia or flaxseed/chia blend
- 1 ½ Tbsp. of Honey
- 2/3 cup Peanut Butter
- Handful to ¼ cup chopped pecans (Optional)
Put everything in a bowl and mix it up.
Got to be honest here – the easiest way to combine everything is to get in with your hands. Between the PB and the honey, it’s the only way to really blend it all together.
I spread into an 8×8 pan and refrigerate for a few hours – at least 4. Then I cut into 8 bars and wrap individually in saran wrap.
Keep in the refrigerator. They are much better cold. They keep for at least two weeks (that’s the longest they’ve lasted in my house!).
This is a versatile and fun recipe – so add what you like:
- I’ve made it with sweetened coconut flakes before, before settling on the pecans as my preferred add-in. Almonds, or any other nut of choice would also work.
- I like dark chocolate, for the ‘healthier’ factor, but semi-sweet or milk chocolate isn’t going to ruin the recipe. Do what you like. For the peanut butter I usually use an all-natural smooth, but chunky should be just fine, too.
- Flaxseeds blend in better, but chia seeds give it a bit more crunch (just check your teeth after eating – those buggers can stick around if you’re not careful!).
Enjoy! Let me know if you’ve tried this, or what version you come up with!